Saturday, April 16, 2016

Review: The Player by Kresley Cole

Title: The Player

Author: Kresley Cole

Synopsis:

In this searing stand-alone installment of the erotic Game Maker Series, #1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole brings readers a tale of a man wracked with dark desires and the beautiful young woman who could sate him at last.

A madman with a shadowed past . . .
In the City of Sin, Dmitri Sevastyan finds her, Victoria Valentine--sexy, vulnerable, and in need of a protector. Obsession takes root deep inside him. Despite a history tainted with violation and betrayal, he will stop at nothing to possess her.

A grifter with nothing to lose . . .
Descended from a long line of con artists, twenty-three-year-old Victoria, a.k.a Vice, needs the score of a lifetime to keep her loved ones safe. She sets her sights on gorgeous and rich Dmitri Sevastyan. Even as the irresistible Russian toys with her body and mind, he tempts her heart.

Love is the ultimate wildcard.
When Vice and her associates maneuver Dmitri into a hasty Vegas wedding, he refuses to protect himself with a prenup, trusting her with all that he has. But can she trust him? As secrets unfold, the newlyweds share days of doubts and nights of the wickedest pleasures. Yet once Vice discovers her husband's past, will she stay to fight for her marriage or cut her losses and run?

***MY REVIEW***

5 out of 5 stars

The Player, the third book in Kresley Cole's Game Makers series, was an absolutely fantastic erotic romance. The book did start a bit slower than the previous books in this series, but once it picked up this book was phenomenal. 

Dmitri is by far my favorite of the Sevastyan brothers. He's has some serious issues he was dealing with thanks to the type of treatment he survived as a small boy, but his determination to get past it and be better and happy made me love him so much. His heroine, Victoria "Vice" Valentine, was also really great. I didn't know if I was gonna like her when I read the blurb initially, but she totally won me over throughout the book.  

As for the romance in this book, I feel like I should've been turned off by the fact that Dmitri was so desperately and obsessively in love with Vice, but it actually kind of worked for me especially when we get to end and can see the big picture of everything that happened. And in regards to Vice's part in the romance, I loved how much she actually loved Dmitri even though she spends most of the book trying to rationalize everything as just being another con job. Also going along with how she felt about Dmitri, I loved how understanding she was and not judgmental when he would reveal horrifying facts about his childhood and past. These two just really worked for me as a couple. Their romance took me for a whirlwind of emotion and I loved it so much.

I also really loved the fact that the plot was all just one big con. It was all so very exciting and thrilling. I don't usually find myself reading about con artists often and the ones I usually encounter are the antagonists instead of the heroes, but this book made me want to read more books with protagonist like this. Seriously, it was just so much fun and felt like a life-sized, real-life version of chess with all the pieces coming together. I just loved it so much especially when either Dmitri or Vice thought they were in control and then things would complete switch up on them. It was fantastic.

Overall, I really loved this book. It was such a satisfying erotic romance. While I had loved the pervious two books in this series I had had some issues with them, but with this book I really had no complaints. I loved it so much and I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment