Monday, April 11, 2016

ARC Review: Leveling the Field by Megan Erickson

Title: Leveling the Field

Author: Megan Erickson

Synopsis:

Reclusive magazine exec Ethan Talley is furious when his business partner hires a photographer—a gorgeous photographer who insists on speaking her mind, damn it—to take pictures for an upcoming article. No matter how badly he wants the woman…under him, over him, against the nearest wall…he has reasons for not wanting to be on camera anymore, and his scars are only one of them.

It takes approximately two seconds for Lissa Kingsman to recognize Ethan as the popular YouTube gamer who fell off the planet years ago. But this Ethan is different than the charming man she used to watch, and the crush she had on him then is nothing compared to the way she’s lusting after the brooding man he is today. If sex is all he can give her, fine. Why not use that bearskin rug in her studio for something other than a prop? But she’s determined to put a chink in his armor, no matter how much he resists.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars

Leveling the Field, the fourth and final book in Megan Erickson's Gamers series was the book I was looking forward to most in this series and Megan delivered an almost flawless romance that met all of my expectations for Ethan's book.

I absolutely loved the heroine Lissa. She was everything I loved about a Megan Erickson heroine and it was impossible for me not to like her. And obviously I loved Ethan. Since he was first introduced in book one I've been dying to get into his head and being in his head was even better than I thought it was going to be. That along with the way he was with Lissa gave me so much LIFE. I was so invested in their relationship from the moment that Lissa saw him walking into Gamers from the window. Their romance was all kinds of steamy and I really got a kick out of the glitter scene in her office, but what I really loved the most about their relationship was the emotional connection and how they could fully understand the reason why they each did certain things because they had both lost a sibling in the past and where dealing with the guilt over their perceived roles in the deaths.

Anywho, while a lot of Leveling the Field deals with the characters learning to move on and come to terms with their siblings' deaths, the book isn't all dark and gloomy. A lot of the book is actually really happy and hopeful and left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside because Lissa and Ethan were so amazing together.

But while I loved this book to pieces, one complaint that I had was that I felt that some of the drama that happened in the book felt kind of unnecessary. I won't go into it too much for spoiler reasons, but I'll just say that I found Lissa reasons for not telling Ethan about her photo project kind of dumb. She was really setting herself up for disaster and I was actually with Ethan on that one. Although, I did find some of the things he said after the fact a little harsh but the way he made it up to her at the end was so wonderful that I got over it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. And while I'm sad to say goodbye to these characters, I was really satisfied with how Megan left everything. It truly was the perfect ending to such fun contemporary romance series.

No comments:

Post a Comment