Sunday, April 24, 2016

ARC Review: How the Duke Was Won by Lenora Bell

Title: How the Duke Was Won

Author: Lenora Bell

Synopsis:

The pleasure of your company is requested at Warbury Park. Four lovely ladies will arrive… but only one can become a duchess.

James, the scandalously uncivilized Duke of Harland, requires a bride with a spotless reputation for a strictly business arrangement. Lust is prohibited and love is out of the question.

Four ladies. Three days. What could go wrong?

She is not like the others…

Charlene Beckett, the unacknowledged daughter of an earl and a courtesan, has just been offered a life-altering fortune to pose as her half-sister, Lady Dorothea, and win the duke’s proposal. All she must do is:

* Be the perfect English rose [Ha!]
* Breathe, smile, and curtsy in impossibly tight gowns [blast Lady Dorothea’s sylph-like figure]
* Charm and seduce a wild duke [without appearing to try]
* Keep said duke far, far from her heart [no matter how tempting]

When secrets are revealed and passion overwhelms, James must decide if the last lady he should want is really everything he needs. And Charlene must decide if the promise of a new life is worth risking everything . . . including her heart.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars

You know that book that you've been waiting for forever and then you finally read it and it sucks? Well How the Duke Was Won is NOT that book. How the Duke Was Won was an absolutely flawless historical romance novel! Everything about this book was absolutely perfect! James and Charlene were two amazing and memorable characters and their love story in this book was really entertaining and had me captivated from the moment she wrestled him to ground thinking he was a footman. And talking about characters pretending to be people they aren't, I actually really loved that throughout the book that Charlene was being forced to pretend to be her half-sister Dorothea. At first, I thought I would get annoyed by the fact that she and James would be pursuing a relationship with him thinking she was someone else, but I actually really enjoyed it. Plus, the scene in which he figured out everything was really worth the long deception. But, yeah, back to James and Charlene's relationship, I loved how James tried his best to resist Charlene because he wanted a wife with a spotless reputation, but failed miserably because these two were perfect for each other in every way. Seriously, all their moments made my heart race because they were all so wonderful and kind of hot. I couldn't get enough of them.

Aside from the great romance between James and Charlene, I really loved that the premise of the book was James inviting four ladies to his house for him to choose a bride. It was like The Bachelor in a historical setting and all the antics that resulted as a result of it was hilarious. I especially loved Alice and the weird things she would talk about. As for the rest of the characters I really liked Dalton. The crap he said and did throughout the book was extremely entertaining. I also really liked the real Lady Dorothea, which was one of the most surprising things for me since I thought she would have been spoiled and insufferable given her parents, but she was actually quite nice and I wish she had appeared in the novel more because I wanted to know so much more about her.

Overall, How the Duke Was Won was an impeccable historical romance novel. I loved it so much and I can't wait to read more by Lenora in the future especially the second book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment