Thursday, April 7, 2016

ARC Review: Fortune Favors the Wicked by Theresa Romain

Title: Fortune Favors the Wicked

Author: Theresa Romain

Synopsis:

Indecently Lucky

As a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, Benedict Frost had the respect of every man on board--and the adoration of the women in every port. When injury ends his naval career, the silver-tongued libertine can hardly stomach the boredom. Not after everything--and everyone--he's experienced. Good thing a new adventure has just fallen into his lap…


When courtesan Charlotte Perry learns the Royal Mint is offering a reward for finding a cache of stolen gold coins, she seizes the chance to build a new life for herself. As the treasure hunt begins, she realizes her tenacity is matched only by Benedict's--and that sometimes adversaries can make the best allies. But when the search for treasure becomes a discovery of pleasure, they'll be forced to decide if they can sacrifice the lives they've always dreamed of for a love they've never known…

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars

Fortune Favors the Wicked was such a breath of fresh air for me. Usually when I read historical romance novels we have rakish heroes and pure innocent heroines, but in this book we have a heroine who used to be a courtesan and a hero who is blind. Charlotte and Benedict were so different from what I'm used to, but that is what made me love reading about them.

As well as just loving Charlotte and Benedict as the main characters, I just really just loved the plot of this historical romance. The story which centered around Charlotte and Benedict trying to find stolen coins while Charlotte is also having to deal with her second identity as a courtesan being at risk of being revealed thanks to an old lover who just wouldn't take no for answer was all really interesting and kept me on the edge of my seat.

But as much as I loved the characters and treasure hunting plot the thing I loved most about this book was obviously the romance. The romance was a slow burning one and it was just so perfect in my opinion. The author built up the anticipation beautifully and by the end I was absolutely ecstatic when Charlotte and Benedict found a way to be together despite all of the obstacles that they had to deal with throughout the story.

Also I think I should mention that I really liked the little bits of the story that were dedicated to Benedict's sister and his friend that was checking in on her and set up what I'm assuming is going to happen in the sequel. She reveals enough about them to get you really excited for what's to come without giving to much away about what's to come.

Anywho, overall, I really loved this book. It was another example as to why I love this sub-genre of romance so much and I can't recommend Charlotte and Benedict's story enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment