Friday, April 8, 2016

ARC Review: Fan the Flames by Katie Ruggle

Title: Fan the Flames

Author: Katie Ruggle

Synopsis:

In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder…

As a Motorcycle Club member and firefighter, Ian Walsh is used to riding the line between the good guys and the bad. He may owe the Club his life, but his heart rests with his fire station brothers…and with the girl he’s loved since they were kids, Rory Sorenson. Ian would do anything for Rory. He’d die for her. Kill for her. Defend her to his last breath—and he may just have to.

Every con in the Rockies knows Rory is the go-to girl for less-than-legal firearms, and for the past few years, she’s managed to keep the peace between dangerous factions by remaining strictly neutral. But when she defends herself against a brutal attack, Rory finds herself catapulted into the center of a Motorcycle Club war—with only Ian standing between her and a threat greater than either of them could have imagined.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars

I have to start off this review by saying that I was not supposed to read this book for at least another month, but after finishing reading Hold Your Breath, I couldn't not read Fan the Flames immediately since I had an advanced copy of it. Now that I've read it I got to say that Fan the Flames was worth pushing back all the other books I had to read by a couple of days because Ian and Rory's story was even better than Hold Your Breath.

Rory was a really interesting character because of her background. She was very different from all the other heroines I've encountered in romantic suspense novels and that uniqueness is what made me love her so much. She was strong and feisty as one has to be when they sell guns for a living, but she was also very inexperienced and vulnerable when it came to typical social situations and relationships and that contrast in her character was one of the best parts of this story. Her love interest, Ian, was your typical alpha male and had a lot of complicated shit going on his life that kept him interesting, but as much as I love a good alpha male, what I loved the most about his character was how he was with Rory and how understanding he was of her quirks. It's what really sold me on him because it would have been so easy for him to just think she was cuckoo and try to change her, but instead he embraced her differences and changed things about his way of living to accommodate her, which was really sweet. As with the previous book, the romance in this book was really slow burning and once again I really loved that because it not only builds up the reader's anticipation for them to finally go all in together, but it also allows for the reader to really see that these two characters are absolutely perfect together and makes the HEA in this book so much more satisfying.

In regards to the suspenseful plot I really enjoyed how the author advanced the HDG investigation. It was a little frustrating thanks to some developments, but overall I love how everything is progressing on that front. I also really enjoyed the storyline focusing on the MC that Ian is a part of and how Rory and Ian ended up in the middle of some really crazy shit. Once again Katie Ruggle delivered a thrilling, heart racing story that had me on the edge of my seat and I absolutely loved it.

Overall, as I said already I loved this book even more than the previous book. I already thought that Hold Your Breath was flawless, but somehow Katie Ruggle managed to outdo herself with Fan the Flames. It truly was wonderful and with it Katie has become an auto-buy author for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment