Friday, February 12, 2016

ARC Review: Strong Signal by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell

Title: Strong Signal

Author: Megan Erickson and Santino Hassell

Synopsis:

I was counting down the months until the end of my deployment. My days were spent working on military vehicles, and I spent my nights playing video games that would distract me until I could leave Staff Sergeant Garrett Reid behind.

That was when I met him: Kai Bannon, a fellow gamer with a famous stream channel.

I never expected to become fixated on someone who'd initially been a rival. And I'd never expected someone who oozed charm to notice me—a guy known for his brutal honesty and scowl. I hadn't planned for our online friendship to turn into something that kept me up at night—hours of chatting evolving into filthy webcam sessions.

But it did. And now I can't stop thinking about him. In my mind, our real life meeting is perfect. We kiss, we fall into bed, and it's love at first sight.

Except, like most things in my life, it doesn't go as planned.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4 out of 5 stars

I'm usually wary of books written by multiple authors, but I love Megan's books so much that I decided to give it a chance even though I had never read anything by Santino Hassell. And this book was actually really, really good. It was slow to start at the beginning and I even considered not finishing it, but I pushed through it and was rewarded with a really memorable romance.

I really loved Kai and Garrett. They were both so different from each other but they were so perfect together. Many interactions between the two of them left me feeling like my heart was going to burst by how cute they were together especially in the scene when they were talking with each other through Kai's apartment door after Garrett came home from overseas. That scene just made me so happy. Also on top of all the perfectness of them just being together, this book also had some really excellent steamy scenes that I really enjoyed.

Aside from the romance, I also really liked the way the gaming aspects that were such a big part of Kai and Garrett's lives was highlighted. I'm not a really big gamer but I enjoyed the chat conversations and getting to see what Kai did for a living instead of having it glossed over. And I also really liked the way the fact that Kai had anxiety over going out in the world was dealt especially with how understanding Garrett was.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was a really great romance and the perfect example as to why you sometimes have to stick with a book past a slow beginning instead of being quick to giving up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment