Thursday, January 14, 2016

ARC Review: The Study of Seduction by Sabrina Jeffries

Title: The Study of Seduction

Author: Sabrina Jeffries

Synopsis:

A marriage of convenience ignites into a passionate love affair in the hotly anticipated second novel in New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Sabrina Jeffries’s addictive Sinful Suitors series!

When Edwin Barlow, the Earl of Blakeborough, agrees to help his best friend’s impetuous ward, Lady Clarissa Lindsey, in her time of need, he knows he’s in for trouble. He’s been hunting for someone to wed, and she’ll just get in the way. Although captivated by the witty, free-spirited beauty, he fears she’d be all wrong as a wife...if she would even take such a gruff cynic for her husband. Yet he wants nothing more than to have her for his own.

Clarissa has no intention of marrying anyone—not Edwin, whom she’s sure would be an overbearing husband, and certainly not the powerful French diplomat stalking her. But when matters escalate with the diplomat, she chooses Edwin’s gallant offer of a marriage between friends in hopes that it will deter her stalker. She expects nothing more than an amiable union, but their increasingly tempestuous kisses prove more than she bargained for. When her stalker’s vow to expose the lovers’ deepest secrets threatens to destroy their blossoming attraction, will their tenuous bond withstand public ruin, or will Edwin lose all that’s important to him to protect his bride?

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars

This is the first book I've read by this author and I loved it so much! I've realized recently that marriage of convenience is pretty much my all-time favorite trope in romance so the fact that this book is centered on one was a really big plus for me. But even if marriages of convenience weren't a big fave of mine the overall plot of this book was just really good.

Edwin and Clarissa's story was a very good historical romance. I really liked that both of the characters were both clearly in love with each other from the very beginning but were both being stubborn and not wanting to admit it for their own reasons. And talking about their reasons, Clarissa's reasons for not wanting to marry anyone really got to me. I won't go into it because it would spoil the book but I got to say that I really liked the way the author dealt with the situation.

The plot centered on Clarissa's stalker was really interesting and I especially liked that the true reason behind the Frenchman stalking her was really unexpected. Seriously, when the truth came to light my jaw literally dropped. It really came out of nowhere but at the same time it made everything in the story make sense and resolved several aspects of the story making the HEA in the book extra perfect.

Overall, I really loved this book. It was a pretty much a perfect historical romance with great characters and an engrossing plot. While this book is the first by Sabrina Jeffries I've read, it definitely won't be my last. She is definitely a new favorite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment