Sunday, December 6, 2015

Rambling Down the Book Hole (Dec '15) - Retelling Recommendations


Since our theme for this month's book club is retellings and we're reading A Court of Thorns and Roses by the amazing Sarah J. Maas, today I'm going to be talking about some other retellings old and new that I have loved or am dying to read.

First, I figured we should start off with the Throne of Glass series also by A Court of Thorns and Roses's author. I have read the first two books in the Throne of Glass series so far as well as some of the prequel novellas and while it's not what I would call your typical retelling, Sarah J. Maas has said that she was inspired by Cinderella. Regardless, the Throne of Glass books are some really exceptional fantasy novels and if you haven't read them yet, you really need to get on them ASAP. I'd bet my entire book collection that you won't be disappointed by those books.

My second recommendation is Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix. This is an older book based of Cinderella that I read back when I was in middle school and here we are a decade later and it is still a favorite of mine. While I was never the biggest fan of Cinderella as child because the character always seemed so week to me but the Ella that we see in Just Ella was strong and independent and got things done in order to insure her own happily ever after even if it was completely the opposite of what everyone was expecting. I read that book cover to cover many times and it is usually my go-to rec when someone asks me for retelling suggestions.

My third and last recommendation is actually a book that I haven't even read yet given that it doesn't release until February 2016 and that book is The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury. The Forbidden Wish is a retelling of the story of Aladdin and while I have never read the original tale, the Disney movie is a favorite of mine and given that I have really loved this author's writing in the past naturally I am crazy excited for this book and have actually already pre-ordered my copy, which is something that I rarely do nowadays. But, yeah, even though I haven't read this book it's one of my top retelling recommendations because I have such faith that this book is going to be nothing short of amazing and I think that everyone should join me as I anxiously await this books release.

Now that you have seen my retelling recs, tell me what are some of your favorite retellings?

And don't forget to check out Ashley's post this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment