Friday, December 11, 2015

ARC Review: A Brazen Bargain by Laura Trentham

Title: A Brazen Bargain

Author: Laura Trentham

Synopsis:

Love soothes the deepest of scars.

Minerva Bellingham is at her wits' end. Her younger brother, Simon, will have them penniless and on the streets if his extravagant gambling habit isn't curtailed. An enormous debt to Lord Rafe Drummond is the final indignity.

Signing over her dowry is their only choice. Until Lord Drummond suggests something much more scandalous. She can keep her dowry-in exchange for the Bellinghams working three months as a housemaid and stable boy.

Scarred from his service to the Crown, Rafe recognizes the young Simon Bellingham has the makings of a good duke. Minerva is a different story. Her pure, delicate beauty only underscores Rafe's tarnished, bleak soul.

Yet he delights in cracking Minerva's icy reserve to reveal a fiery, stubborn woman. And Minerva discovers the gruff master of Wintermarsh has the heart of a poet. But before they can find a future safe in each other's arms, a menace from Simon's licentious past slithers back into their lives, forcing Rafe to plan the most important rescue mission of his life.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars

I've been itching to read a Laura Trentham book for some time now and so I jumped at the chance to read an ARC of this lovely book. A Brazen Bargain is the second book in her Spies and Lovers series but it can standalone which worked out well for me because I haven't had the chance to read the first book in this series yet. 

I loved both of these characters to pieces. Minerva was my favorite kind of historical romance heroine. She was strong-willed and got shit done on her own. And Rafe was my favorite kind of historical romance hero. He was tortured and scarred but deep down he was a good man and I fell in love with his character almost immediately. The romance that developed between the two of them was both sizzling and sweet. The way everything progressed from their mutual disdain for each other at the beginning to love had my heart racing especially towards the end.

The overall plot with Minerva and her brother Simon having to work off his debt and the whole situation with Lord Hampton was interesting and kept me flipping the pages. I also really loved the tiny subplot with Jenny trying to win Tom's heart. It was so cute.

Overall, this book was a really fantastic historical romance. I've read a lot of exceptional historical romance lately and A Brazen Bargain is definitely a top favorite and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment