Thursday, November 19, 2015

ARC Review: The Art of Taming a Rake by Nicole Jordan

Title: The Art of Taming a Rake

Author: Nicole Jordan

Synopsis:

Sparks abound in this sizzling new Legendary Lovers tale from New York Times bestselling author Nicole Jordan, in which a seductive rakehell must woo his spirited but love-shy bride while unmasking a mysterious assailant.

Despite his notorious reputation, Quinn Wilde, Earl of Traherne, has mostly honorable intentions. So when beautiful Venetia Stratham boldly enters a gentlemen’s club, demanding that Quinn stop courting her sister, he does what any bachelor would do: He kisses her. With her sharp wit, intoxicating passion, and surprising vulnerability, Venetia is irresistible—except for all this nonsense about threatening to shoot Quinn. But when clandestine enemies make an actual attempt on the earl’s life, Venetia is implicated. To save her good name, Quinn does what any true gentleman must do: He proposes.

Thus Venetia finds herself wed to arrogant, wickedly sensual Quinn, whose devilish ways are as legendary as his rumored skills as a lover. Yet vexingly, her body rebels against her vow to remain immune to his many charms. If only she could reform the infuriating nobleman—without diminishing his undeniable allure. As Venetia discovers that a true rake is hard to take, Quinn faces an even greater challenge: winning his wife's fragile trust... while defending both their lives.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4 out of 5 stars

I got to admit I only requested this book on NetGalley because I thought the cover was pretty. I had never read any of Nicole Jordan's books or heard of her at all, but I took a chance on it and I've never been happier that I judged a book by its cover because this book was a really enjoyable historical romance novel. I really enjoyed Quinn and Venetia's story! It had all the things that I love about a historical romance from the marriage of convenience to salvage the heroine's reputation to the mystery behind who is out to kill Quinn.

But with that said, the real highlight for me in this book was the heroine. While Quinn was your typical historical romance hero, a rich, good-looking earl with a scandalous reputation, but who has a good heart that you can't help but fall in love with, Venetia really stood out for me. She wasn't just some weak damsel in distress, she was strong and independent and got things done. When she pulled out a gun on Quinn, I might have developed a slight girl crush on her. She was badass!

While I loved this book, the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was because there were parts of the story that kind of dragged for me and while the sex scenes in this book were really hot, I still would've liked to see more sweet, innocent moments between Quinn and Venetia that weren't sexual to really solidify their romance for me.

Overall, I really did like this book. It was a fun, sexy historical romance book and I'm really looking forward to going back and reading the first three books in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment