Sunday, October 11, 2015

ARC Review: 90s Playlist: A Romance Rewind Anthology

Title: 90s Playlist: A Romance Rewind Anthology

Authors: Brighton Walsh, Lorelie Brown, Amy Jo Cousins, Audra North, Rebeca Grace Allen, and Jennifer Blackwood

Synopsis:

Six stories of sex, love, and being young in the ‘90s, inspired by songs of the decade…

My Strongest Weakness by Brighton Walsh
It was supposed to be a one-time thing. No one would find out; no one would have to know. And then once turned into twice, and twice turned into several times a week, and now pierced, punk-loving, rebellious Tia Lanning is banging Mason Brooks, the big man on campus and Mr. All American. But banging him isn’t the problem. Falling for him is. Especially when he’s content to let her remain his dirty little secret.

Creep by Lorelie Brown
Roni lives for the raves in Oakland’s warehouse district. Dancing till dawn in white gloves under black lights breathes life into her soul. Nothing will get her kicked out of her underground world faster than turning over Skittles, her dealer. She refuses to provide info about the underage runaway to his big brother Tom. But Tom is going to find Skittles with or without Roni’s cooperation. But Tom is special. He’s rich, handsome and bold. Roni wishes she was special. And like the rave scene she loves, nothing lasts forever.

The Belle vs. the BDOC by Amy Jo Cousins
Shelby Summerfield is a gold star lesbian, even if she doesn’t look like one. Florence Truong is the only other dyke at Carlisle College in 1993 not wearing plaid flannel, and Shelby sets her sights on seduction. But instead of a delightful tumble in the sheets, Florence calls her out for being a straight girl. With seduction off the table, Shelby settles for revenge for her humiliation. But if all she wants is to show up her campus rival, how come Shelby can't stop herself from saving Florence instead of annihilating her?

Worthwhile by Audra North
Jill didn’t expect her semester in Leeds to start with getting dumped by her boyfriend. Especially since she only came to England to be with him. Two weeks in, all she wants to do is go home. Finding love with someone new is definitely not an option. But when she literally stumbles into grad student Stuart’s arms, her experience abroad becomes a lot more worthwhile.

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Rebecca Grace Allen
Rory Stone's days of grunge and poetry are behind her, her reality now in bags of Arabian brew, and counting the change in the tip jar. Can indie singer James Griffith rock her muse back into the present?

Little Red Thong by Jennifer Blackwood
Emily Jones is ready to embark on the most epic spring break trip of her college career with her bestie, twin brother, and her brother’s best friend, Chase. Chase has been in love with Emily since the eighth grade when she kicked his ass in laser tag. He’s not going to piss away his last chance to tell her how he feels. When the group decides to play a game of Spring Break BINGO that involves body shots, a red thong, and secret hookups, this is the perfect catalyst to get him out of the friend zone. But as things get heated, they have to decide if twenty years of friendship is worth putting in jeopardy because of a game, and what will happen when they hit dry land.

***MY REVIEW***

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Overall Rating of Anthology:
4 out of 5 stars

"My Strongest Weakness" by Brighton Walsh - 5 stars

Out of the six stories in this anthology, Brighton Walsh's contribution, My Strongest Weakness, was by far the best. I loved this story just as much as I loved Walsh's full length novels. The characters were well-developed and despite the short length I was really able to connect with them and their story. Overall, it was a grade-A romance and I loved it so much.

"Creep" by Lorelie Brown - 3.5 stars

Creep, the second story in this anthology was the first story I've ever read by the this author and even though I wasn't sure I would like the story based on it's synopsis, I actually really liked it. It was a pretty good romance story and really the only complaint I had about the story and the reason why I gave it 3.5 stars instead of 4 or 5 was that everything seemed like everything in this story was rushed and left me wanting to know so much more about these characters.

"The Belle vs. the BDOC" by Amy Jo Cousins - 2 stars

While I really liked the idea of this story, I just couldn't really get into it. Usually, when I speed through stories it's because I just can't get enough of the author's writing, but that was not the case with this story. I ended up speeding through it to just get it over with so that I can move on to the following story, which was really upsetting because I had heard some really good things about this author and really wanted to like this story.

"Worthwhile" by Audra North - 4 stars

Like with many of the other authors in this anthology, Worthwhile was the first story I have ever read by Audra North and I really liked it. I've always loved books that are set abroad and this story was no exception. But like with the other story Creep, I felt like this story was too short. Like, seriously, it felt like in ended right when it was really starting to get good and therefore I had to give it 4 stars instead of 5.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Rebecca Grace Allen - 4 stars

I really liked this story by Rebecca Grace Allen. Despite its length, this book managed to hook me pretty quickly and held my attention fully until the very end. I really loved Rory and James so much and their story was really endearing with a romance that was both sweet and hot. Also, kudos to this author for making like a story where the women is older because I usually have mixed feelings about that. Anyway, I really liked this story and out of the 6 stories in this anthology it was definitely a top fave and I look forward to reading more by this author.

"Little Red Thong" by Jennifer Blackwood - 4 stars

One of the reasons I was really looking forward to this anthology was because I new one of my favorite authors Jennifer Blackwood was contributed and her story, Little Red Thong did not disappoint. It was a fun and hot romance. Emily, Chase, Drew, and Melissa were all really awesome characters and I liked reading about their spring break adventures. They almost made me wish I was more adventurous when I was still in college because serious the idea of spring break BINGO is kind of awesome. Lol. Anyway, I really liked this book and I think it was the perfect way to end this anthology.

No comments:

Post a Comment